visit360.net, the guide to wonders of the world in 360°
Saint Ann parish church built in roman style around 1260 AD has a completely circular plan, thus it is a round church. Such buildings were popular church constructions in the Carpathian Basin, Scandinavia and Armenia during the Middle Ages. Still standing examples of round churches can be found in the villages of Ják, Öskü, Kisszombor and Kallósd in Hungary.
The church of the former Premonstratensian abbey dates from the first half of the 13th century. Originally built in a Romanesque and Gothic style it was remodelled around 1750 to suit Baroque taste.
In all likelihood the provostry church already stood here before 1251. Two towers guard its west facade and the cascaded porch framed by smooth columns just out of the wall surface. The south and north facades are articulated by plain buttresses and arched windows. Narrow medieval windows break the wall of the rectangular sanctuary.
Parish church of Nagygeresd was originally built in Romanesque style during the 13th century. Not much is left from the original architecture but for the sanctuary that still preserves the original style, while the nave had been rebuilt in gothic sytle during the 14th century.
Built around early ninth century AD, Candi Mendut is the oldest of the three temples including Pawon and Borobudur. According to the Karangtengah inscription, the temple was built and finished during the reign of King Indra of Sailendra dynasty.
The still standing temple was originally merely one building in a large temple complex that was surrounded by a brick wall. However, only fragments of a few memorial stupas are left from all the other buildings. Candi Mendut appears to have a flat rooftop, but this is merely the result of an incomplete restoration.
Pawon is connected with the Borobudur and Mendut, all of which were built during the Sailendra dynasty (8th–9th centuries) The temple slightly faces northwest and stands on a square base. Because of its relative simplicity, symmetry and harmony, the historians dubbed this small temple as "the jewel of Javanese temple architecture", in contrast with tall-slender East Javanese style counterparts as founds in later Singhasari and Majapahit period.
Candi Sewu is the second largest Buddhist Temple in Central Java after Borobudur. The temple complex follows the Mandala pattern with the main entrance located on the east side. Each of the entrances were guarded by twin Dvarapala statues.
Candi Sewu is located within the area of the Prambanan temple complex, around 800 meters north of it. The proximity of the Hindu temples of Prambanan suggests that Hindus and Buddhist lived in harmony when the temples were built. The easiest and fastest way to get to the temple is by the Prambanan temple train.
Candi Plaosan, also known as the 'Plaosan Complex', is one of the Buddhist temples located in Bugisan village, Prambanan district. The 9th century Plaosan complex is an ensemble of two Buddhist temples, Plaosan Lor and Plaosan Kidul out of which Plaosan Lor is much more significant.
Many of the buildings have inscriptions, two of them denote the temple as a gift of sanctuary by Rakai Pikatan. The dates of the inscriptions are between 825-850 AD. Although similar to the Prambanan 856 AD date, the complexes are not related.
Candi Sari is located about 130 meters north east from Kalasan temple. It is strongly suggested that the original function of this building was a monastery (vihara) . Historians believe that this temple was built around the same time as Candi Kalasan. According to an inscription dated 778 AD, Maharaja Tejapurnapana Panangkaran was persuaded by a guru to erect a temple (Candi Kalasan) devoted to goddess Tara with a buddhist monastery.
Candi Kalasan (Candi Kalibening) is an 8th century Buddhist temple located 13 km east of Yogyakarta on the way to Prambanan temple. According to an inscription dated 778 AD, Kalasan temple is the oldest among temples built in the vicinity of Prambanan. The inscription says that Maharaja Tejapurnapana Panangkaran was persuaded by a guru to erect a temple devoted to goddess Tara with a buddhist monastery. This monastery might be the nearby located Candi Sari.
The Gedong Arca Purbakala Archaeological Museum is located close to Bedulu, on the road to Pejeng. It contains a unique collection of tufa sarcophagi of varying size dating back to 300 BC. They 53 sarcophagi were found in the early seventies on 37 different sites on Bali and brought together here. Some of them are damaged probably the work of tomb-robbers or careless excavators.