visit360.net, the guide to wonders of the world in 360°
The Raffles' Landing Site is considered to be the site where Sir Stamford Raffles, founder of Singapore landed on 29 January 1819. He was working for the British East India Company and ventured to the Island of Singapore in the hope of establishing a free port for traders along the shortest sea route between India and China. Thanks to his vision, Singapore outgrew the rival ports of Melaka, Penang, Batavia (Jakarta) to become one of the largest busiest ports in the world today.
The Merlion is a mythical creature with the head of a lion and the body of a fish, a well-known icon of Singapore. The lion element refers to the city's original name, Singapura ('Lion City'), while the fish honours its maritime heritage. Even its name is a mixture of the mermaid and lion words. The Merlion symbol was designed by Fraser Brunner for the logo of the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) in 1964.
Since its foundation in 1819, Singapore has been a center of trade. During the colonial era, Boat Quay was the commercial center where goods were transported upstream to warehouses at Clarke Quay. By the latter half of the twentieth century, Singapore River had become very polluted and the government decided to relocate cargo services and turn the area into a flourishing entertainment precinct.
Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum is a newly-built Buddhist temple dedicated to Maitreya Buddha. It is is based on the Tang dynasty architectural style and was erected to house the tooth relic of the historical Buddha found in a collapsed stupa in Myanmar in 1980. The ground breaking ceremony was conducted on 13 March 2005 and the temple was completed in 2 years of time.
The Armenian Church dedicated to St Gregory the Illuminator is denifitely the oldest church in Singapore, founded in 1834 and completed by 1835. Its designer was the renown colonial architect, George Coleman, and this church is considered to be his masterpiece. Since the last Armenian parish priest left in the late 1930s, nowdays the Jacobite Syrian Church of India and Coptic Orthodox community of Saint Mark use it on a regular basis.